RAI Enhances its Archive System with Etere07 May 2008
Etere increases the efficiency of metadata management.
RAI in its broadcast centre of Turin has added a new channel to its 7 channels. This new channel uses the Etere Automation system.
Etere manages all the video archive systems and indexes all information relative to the assets with the MAM indexing system.
Etere Media Manager moves the videos between the archive and the onair videoserver, while
Etere HSM stores the videos.
The system is very complex and consists of:
• 4 PDR 300 videoservers from Thomson used for onair
• 2 Profile XP videoservers from Thomson used for onair
• 2 Thomson Turbo I_VDRs from Thomson used for onair
• 2 Thomson Turbo I_VDRs from Thomson used as far caching devices, located 600 km away from the onair system
• 1 Thomson M2100 Master Control
• 1 Miranda Imagestore logo generator
• 40 TB of Sun Storagetek Disk archive on Bladestore technology
• 4 VTRs for ingest
The system not only controls the archive and restoration of videos from the Thomson videoserver, but it also manages and retrieves the Louth segment database.
Etere MAM allows full control of all the video segments, sharing the content between all the channels even if they are based on different technologies.
The handling of metadata is one of the key aspects of the project, together with the ingest management capability.